Creating and using a professional audio workstation with Gentoo Linux
2013-11-14 The LiVES ebuild in Portage is WAY out of date. There's an ebuild on the ebuild fixes page for LiVES 2.0.6. It isn't enough to copy the latest version in Portage to a local overlay and rename it to 2.0.6, so use the ebuild on the ebuild fixes page. If you add any improvements, please share it with Gentoo Studio and most importantly - with Gentoo via bugs.gentoo.org (but if you could let me know, I'd appreciate it).
2013-11-06 The latest git jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9999 now appears to require zita-alsa-pcmi and zita-resampler in order to compile without errors. The updated ebuild on the ebuild fixes page (link on the left) adds these two packages as dependencies.
2013-11-05 I wasn't able to update the tarball in October, so since the last update was two months ago, all I did for November was run a world update (which took a while) and the following fixes:
- Set masters = gentoo in /usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf and /var/lib/layman/pro-audio/metadata/layout.conf.
- Added to package.keywords:
- Fixed missing digest error for /var/lib/layman/pro-audio/media-sound/amidimap/amidimap-0.1.1-r1.ebuild.
- Noted git.eclass could not be found by inherit() errors for:
- Removed alsaplayer-midi because the ebuild throws a corruption error that couldn't be fixed. Will re-install when a fix is found.
- Manually updated dev-libs/icu to resolve Blocks.
2013-09-02 September's updates to the stage 4 tarball include the following new packages installed:
- jackbeat (get modified ebuild that avoids trying to compile pulseaudio-9999, which is not required)
- ocaml-mm (to version 0.2.1, ebuild here)
- ocaml-ogg (to version 0.4.5, ebuild here)
- Liquidsoap (to version 1.1.0, just copy the ebuild in the local overlay to this version and emerge it) + updated init script here
- rt-sources (to version 3.10.6_p3)
Ardour 3 has not been updated this month due to a waf configure error in the files fetched by subversion. This has been confirmed on three different Gentoo machines. We will see what happens next month before reporting this to Ardour.org.
Liquidsoap has not been updated to the latest version, 1.1.1, because there seems to be an issue with using annotation. As soon as I figure it out, the tarball version will be updated to 1.1.1. Friendly reminder: when using Liquidsoap with Icecast, you must make sure the number of allowed sources in /etc/icecast2/icecast2.xml match the number of streams you want to run, including any streams that you might need to run live on a schedule instead of continuously.
New desktop background for Gentoo Studio. Add it to your installation. It is now the default background on new installations. Featured is a modified "G" Logo and the Arturia Minibrute.
Click for full-size image
Gentoo Studio now has a Facebook page.
2013-08-26 Do you have the Korg Legacy Collection? I do. I've known for a while now that it can be run on Wine. What I'd like to share today is how to control a KLC synth from Ardour 3.
Run Qjackctl, start JACK, and start Ardour 3. In a terminal, start j2amidi_bridge. Create a MIDI track and put some notes in. Open a KLC synth via Wine. In the KLC synth System -> Preferences -> MIDI Settings tab, select j2a_bridge as Device 1 and optionally as your clock master. Open the "Connections" window of Qjackctl, go to the MIDI tab, and connect your Ardour track to j2a_bridge. When you play your Ardour track, notes should now be heard from your KLC synth.
2013-08-07 August's stage4 tarball includes the following changes:
- Updated README to include all installed software and features
- Upgraded kernel to 3.8.13-rt14
- Switched from libusb to libusb-compat
2013-07-04 July's stage 4 tarball includes the following changes:
- Corrected typo in /home/gentoostudio/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart that allowed screen blanking when it should be off by default.
- Upgraded IDJC to 0.8.9 (the current version as of this date) by coping from the proaudio repo to the local overlay and copying the ebuild to version 0.8.9.
- Installed Ingen/Drobilla/Patchage.
- Removed outdated rt-sources-3.6.11_p31.
2013-06-08 Ebuild fixes:The wineasio and asio-sdk (required by wineasio) ebuilds in the pro-audio overlay are out of date. I have fixed them and posted them on the ebuild fixes page. The problems were 1. asio-sdk-2.2 is no longer available (it's now 2.3), 2. the wineasio ebuild looked for version 2.2 of asio-sdk, and 3. the wineasio ebuild looked for jack-audio-connection-kit with a 32bit use flag, which does not exist (it compiles fine without any such flag). In addition to all this, the fetch restriction instructions for the asio-sdk ebuild had to be updated because Steinberg now requires a "developer login" in order to download the SDK (sign-up is free).
Stage4 tarball: June's update to the tarball includes the following fixes/additions:
- Added xset -dpms, xset s noblank and xset s off to /home/gentoostudio/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. This prevents screen blanking by default. Screen blanking is normally something to be avoided in a DAW; however, if you want screen blanking, modify this file as needed.
- Added app-emulation/wine ~amd64 to package.keywords for increased compatibility (some testing showed that "unstable" wine ran some programs "stable" wine did not).
- Minor changes to updatesystem script.
- Added wineasio a la the fix mentioned above.
- User can now shutdown/reboot from the LXDE logout menu.
2013-05-13 May's stage4 tarball includes the following changes:
- The filesystem options in the default kernel config have been fixed. ext4 has been added and ext3 and reiserfs, neither of which are used by Gentoo Studio, have been removed.
- rt-sources has been upgraded to 3.8.4-rt1, which I can apparently now work with.
- /etc/udev/rules.d/fw.rules has been set to a default of three firewire devices, so you will only need to modify it to add more than three devices.
- Modified updatesystem script to add some --keep-going arguments.
- New installed programs include Porthole and NetworkManager.
2013-04-04 Unfortunately, I am not able to provide a stage4 tarball with, or to support, rt-sources-3.8.4-rt1, for the simple reason that I can't compile it on my Gentoo Studio development machine with the i915 driver I need. Kernel compile simply crashes when it gets to that driver. If they fix it, I'll happily upgrade the stage4 tarball. In the meantime, the Gentoo Studio stage4 tarball will be staying with rt-source-3.6.11. Feel free to upgrade the kernel on your own, though!
This month's update also showed me a gap or two that was missing, such as modifying make.conf to suit your system before you first boot into Gentoo Studio. This is now included in the stage4 tarball installation instructions.
2013-03-04 In preparation for QT5, qt packages were moved and renamed in Portage. x11-libs/qt-gui and x11-libs/qt-core are now dev-qt/gtgui and dev-qt/qtcore. This causes packages depending on these to break until they are updated. Packages in the main Portage tree have been fixed, but packages in overlays may not have been fixed yet. If you get an error saying no ebuild found for qt-gui or qt-core, you can easily fix this by moving the package to a local overlay and replacing x11-libs/gt-gui with dev-qt/qtgui and x11-libs/qt-core with dev-qt/qtcore in the affected ebuild.
Ebuilds that have been fixed in the stage 4 tarball affected by this issue:
2013-02-20 The stage 4 tarball is now up-to-date and ready to roll, as is the stage 4 installation guide. Please feel free to check it out and provide comments and criticism. Send any of those to webmaster at gentoostudio dot org.
2013-02-15 media-libs/vst-sdk-2.3-r4: Both suggested links in the Portage output no longer work. If you need version 2.3, go directly to http://ygrabit.steinberg.de/~ygrabit/public_html/vstsdk/Download/VST%20Plug-Ins%20SDK%202.3/.
2013-02-14 Fix-ups: media-libs/lv2dynparam1-2 and media-sound/zynjacku-6 in the pro-audio overlay as of this date have non-existent SRC_URIs. For ebuilds with working SRC_URIs, please visit the ebuild fixes page.
media-sound/zynaddsubfx-2.4.3.ebuild in the pro-audio overlay has references to non-existent patches. Get a working ebuild from the ebuild fixes page.
2013-02-13 Ardour.org is back up and things seem to have been sorted.
2013-02-12 Ardour.org apparently is suffering from a case of "bad web host". If ardour.org is down, please visit http://community.ardour.org instead. Note that community.ardour.org is not a live site. If you have anything you need to post to the Ardour forums, please wait until ardour.org is back up. You can also visit #ardour on Freenode.
2013-02-12 Today must be a bad day for web hosting. The src_uri for media-plugins/nekobee is also down. However, I found a source tarball and am hosting a copy of it. Get the ebuild from the Ebuild fixes page.
2013-02-12 The manual installation guide has been comprehensively updated. Changes:
- Fixed some links, since things have moved from audiodef.com to gentoostudio.org.
- Some things previously broken that required some rescue hosting by me have been fixed or adopted in the overlay.
- More detailed install instructions, especially with the new focus on installing a ~stable system that requires heavy use of package.keywords.
- Generally more up-to-date information reflecting more current Gentoo stage3 installations.
- Switch from Grub Legacy to Grub 2, which, among other advantages offered by Grub 2, simplifies the bootloader installation process
2013-01-06 Gentoostudio.org is moving to a new home. Bigger server (not to mention dedicated instead of virtual) for a good price at OVH. Host Virtual is still awesome, though, and the domain is stil registered through them.
2012-12-18 I am looking into the possibility of ck-sources and pf-sources as viable patchsets for audio processing. If you have information supporting this use, please let me know by emailing webmaster at gentoostudio dot org and I can share it here.
2012-12-17 It appears kernel 3.7.0 may have ALSA bugs. Please see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-944996-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html. This could apply to rt-sources-3.7.0 when it comes out.
If you create, mix or master music using Gentoo Linux, let me know and I can post a link to you site or page here. Email your musical info to webmaster at gentoostudio dot org.