Gentoostudio.org is currently being rebuilt. Please do not attempt to follow the install instructions while this message is up.
Before beginning either a manual install or a stage4 install, please make sure you are using a machine that does not contain any data you wish to keep, and that meets th
e following criteria:
- 64-bit architecture. 32-bit installs are neither recommended nor supported for audio production.
- No less than the equivalent of an Intel Core2 for light work, and at least the equivalent of a Core i5 or Phenom 2 for serious work. More is better.
- Hard disks with a rotation speed of at least 7200 RPM, or SSD drives. Either way, the more, the better. Audio recording and production eats up a lot of space
fast. Having at least a 1 TB drive is good, but definitely no less than 500 GB with the ability to offload onto removeable media.
- No less than 2 GB RAM for light work, no less than 8 GB for serious work. 16 GB or more is recommended, especially if you plan to do multi-track recording or
mixing with lots of tracks and plugins.
- Any of this could be for a desktop or laptop. None of it has to be new. Please post to the forum thread if you'd like advice about specific hardware.